Blood Pressure Pattern in Barako - A Rural Community in Rivers State, Nigeria


  • Friday Samuel Wokoma Department of Internal Medicine, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
  • Datonye Dennis Alasia Department of Internal Medicine, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria


Blood pressure pattern, Barako, Rural community, Nigeria.


Background: The last and only national blood pressure survey in Nigeria was carried out over a decade ago in 1997, using 160/95mmHg as hypertension cut off level. The overall prevalence of hypertension recorded was 11.2%. In recent times however isolated rural and urban blood pressure studies in parts of Nigeria, using 140/90mmHg (JNC-7) cut of level have reported prevalence rates ranging from 17.5% to 31. 5%. This indicates a higher and increasing burden of hypertension in the country. It is on this background that we report the pattern and distribution of blood pressure in another rural community in Rivers state as a further contribution to an updated blood pressure trends data in Nigeria.

Methods: The survey was a cross sectional surveys of adult volunteers during a one day health out-reach in a rural community of Rivers state. Blood pressure, BMI, random blood sugar and urine testing were done in accordance with standard protocols. JNC-7 guidelines were adopted for the determination and grading of hypertension.

Results: They were 60 males and 92 females (M/F =1:1.5) with a mean age of 48.9 + 14.8years. The subjects were mostly farmers (53.9%) with female predominance. Their mean BMI was 24.8 + 4.8kg/m2, with 30% of the subjects in pre-obesity level and 15.7% with obesity. The mean systolic blood pressure (SBP) was 129.9 + 24.3mmHg, while the mean diastolic blood pressure (DBP) was 76.9 + 13.1mmHg. SBP was significantly higher in males than in females (p<0.001), no significant gender difference was observed for DBP. For SBP, Pre hypertension was observed in 55(36.2%), hypertension grade -1 in 30(19.7%) and hypertension grade - 2 in 19(12.5%) of the subjects. The overall systolic hypertension prevalence rate was 32.2 percent. For diastolic pressure, Pre-hypertension was observed in 49(32.2%) of subjects, hypertension grade1 in 21(13.8%) and hypertension grade 2 in 15(9.8%) with an overall diastolic hypertension prevalence rate of 23.6%. The aggregate hypertension prevalence rate in the subjects was 27.9%. Significant proteinuria was observed in 26.9% of subjects. Correlates of elevated diastolic blood pressure were increasing blood sugar and BMI.

Conclusion: The aggregate prevalence of hypertension of 27.9% and Pre-hypertension of 34.2% found in Barako a rural community of Rivers state is high. In addition the prevalence hypertension and cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity was high and significantly associated with elevated blood pressure. In view of the increasing prevalence of hypertension in rural communities in Nigeria, there is need for proper blood pressure and cardiovascular risk awareness, detection and control campaign in Nigerian rural and urban communities using community based screening and surveys.


Odia OJ, Wokoma FS. Mortality pattern in the medical wards of a Nigerian teaching hospital. Orient Journal ofMedicine 1992; 4(4) 96-100.

Ike SO. The pattern of admissions into the medical wards of the University of Nigeria Teaching hospital, Enugu. Nig J Clin Pract. 2008; 11 (3):185- 192.

Unachukwu CN, Agomuoh D.I, Alasia D.D. Pattern ofnon-Communicable diseases among medical admissions in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice 2008; 11(1):14-17.

Siminalayi I.M, Emem-Chioma P.C, Odia O.J. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Urban and Suburban Rivers state, Nigeria:International Diabetes Federation and Adult treatment panel III, definitions. The Nig Postgrad Med J 2010; 17(2):147-153.

Akpa M.R, Emem-Chioma P.C, Odia O.J. Current epidemiology of hypertension in Port Harcourt metropolis, Rivers state,Nigeria. Port Harcourt Medical Journal 2008;2:218-223.

Donnison CP. Blood pressure in the African Native: it's bearing upon the aetiology of hyperpesia and arteriosclerosis. The Lancet 1929; 6-7.

The National Expert Committee on non-communicable diseases in Nigeria(NCD). Final report of a National survey. Fed Min Health Social Services. Lagos 1997.

Ekere AU, Etukudo LB, Pattern of blood pressure measurements in a semi rural populace of south- eastern Nigeria. The Niger Health J. 2006; 6(3/4):408-410.

Omuemu VO, Okojie OH, Omuemu CE. Awareness ofhigh blood pressure status, treatment and control in a rural community in Edo state. Niger J of Clin Pract. 2007; 10(3): 208-212.

Wokoma FS. Casual blood pressure measurement in a rural Community (Okoboh) in the Abua-Odual LGA ofRivers State during a Rotary eye camp.The Nig Health J 2007;7(1/2):434-440.

Adefuye BO, Adefuye PO, Oladapo OT, Familoni OB, Olunga TO. Prevalence of hypertension and other cardiovascular risk factors in an African sub-urban religious community. Niger Med Pract 2009;55(1-2 ):4-8.

The Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Follow-up report on the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes care 2003;26:3160-3167.

Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. Seventh report of the joint National Committee on prevention detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure. The JNC report. Hypertension 2003;42(60):1206-1252.

WHO. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series 894. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2000.

Severs PS, Gordon D, Peart WS, Beighton P. Blood pressure and its correlates in urban and tribal Africa. The Lancet 1980; 12:60-64.

Abrahams GD, Allele CA, Banard BG. The systemic blood pressure in rural west African community. West Africa Med J 1960:45-58.

Kleinhaum DG. Sociologic stress and hypertension related mortality rates in North Carolina. Am J Pub Health. 1976;66:354-357.

Hall JE, Heneger JR, Dwyer TM, Liu J, da-Silva AA, Kuo JJ, Tallam L. Obesity a major cause of chronic kidney disease? Adv Ren Replace Ther 2004;11(1):41-54.

Hall JE, Hou TJ, Silva A, et- al. Obesity, hypertension and renal disease. Curr Opin Neprol Hypertens, 2003;12:195-200.

Akpa MR, Odia OJ. Obesity in urban Nigeria. The Nig Health J 2005; 5(1/2):272-274.

Johnson TO. Prevalence of overweight and obesity among urban subjects of an urban African population sample. Brit J Prev Soc.Med 1970;24:105-109.

Fields LE, Bunt VL, Cutler JA, et-al. The burden ofadult hypertension in the United states 1999-2000.;a rising tide.Hypertension2004;44: 398-404.

Abengowe CU. Pattern of hypertension in Northern savanna, Nigeria. Tropical Doctor 1980:3-8.

Bigazzi R, Bianchi S, Baldari D, Scherri G, Baldari,G, Campesse G. Microalbuminuria in salt sensitive patients: a marker for renal and cardiovascular risk factors. Hypertension 1994; 23:195-199.

Kaplan NM. Microalbuminuria: A risk factor for vascular and renal Complications. Am J Med 1992; (suppl 4B):4B-8S.

Ohwovoriole AE, Kuti JA, Kabiawu SI .Casual blood glucose levels and prevalence of diabetes mellitus in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1988; 4: 153-158.

Erasmus RT. Fakeye T, Olukoga O, et al .Prevalence ofdiabetes Mellitus in a Nigerian population. Trans Roy Soc Trop Med Hyg 1989 ; 83:417-418.

Falase AO, Oladapo OO. Relatively low incidence ofmyocardial infarction in Nigerians(Abstract). Book ofthAbstracts-7 Congress of Pan African Society ofthCardiology (PASCAR) 12-14 Sept. 2001.

Odia OJ. Cardiovascular risk factors in black Africans with ischaemic heart disease (Abstract) Book ofrdabstracts ,3 International conference on preventive cardiology1993. Abstract no.031.

Familoni OB, Olunga TO. Comparison of the knowledge and awareness of hypertension among hospital and factory workers in Sagamu, Nigeria. Niger Med Pract 2005; 47(3) 43-45.

Salako BL. Blood pressure control in sub-Saharan Africans. Postgraduate Doctor 2003; 25(1):4-7.

Akpa MR, Alasia D.D, Emem-Chioma PC. An Appraisal of Hospital based blood pressure control in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. The Niger Health J 2008 ;( 1-The Nigerian Health Journal, Vol. 11, No 1, January - March 2011Page 13Wokoma F.S, Alasia D.D - Blood Pressure Pattern in a rural Community2):27-30




How to Cite

Wokoma, F. S., & Alasia, D. D. (2015). Blood Pressure Pattern in Barako - A Rural Community in Rivers State, Nigeria. The Nigerian Health Journal, 11(1), 8. Retrieved from

Most read articles by the same author(s)

1 2 3 4 > >> 

Similar Articles

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > >> 

You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.